exposing the dark side of adoption
Register Log in

Waterford Township woman found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning


Mike Martindale / The Detroit News

Waterford Township- A 37-year-old mother is dead and four of her children are being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning today following an incident in the 6400 block of Barker Street that remains under investigation.

Police said they were sent to the house around 8:18 a.m. Monday on a 911 call from the home that the woman, identified as Shanda Lou Yenglin, had been found passed out in the garage, cold and not moving. Yenglin was pronounced dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning pending autopsy results.

Four children, ages 10, 11, 13, and 14, were taken to an area hospital where two were reported in serious condition — also from suspected fumes, according to police.

"It is still under investigation and too early to say if this was accidental or not," said Waterford Township Deputy Chief Jeff James late Monday afternoon.

James said no additional information would be released until a press conference called for Tuesday morning.

2011 Feb 28