Man Faces New Charges Of Sex Abuse Boy Tells Boynton Police Of Molestation In Home
By KURT GREENBAUM, Staff Writer
State prosecutors have filed new sexual-abuse charges against David Allen Lindsey Sr., the former Boynton Beach cabinetmaker once lauded for being among Florida`s first bachelors to adopt homeless boys.
A similar case is still pending against Lindsey, who was arrested in June 1987 and charged with sexually abusing his oldest adopted son and another boy in his Boynton Beach home.
That case is set for trial next month.
One week ago, the Palm Beach County State Attorney`s Office filed new charges of sexual battery, committing a lewd act and lewd assault against Lindsey, after Boynton Beach police took a statement from another 8-year-old boy who claimed Lindsey molested him.
``This is a child who had been in the (Lindsey) home who could not verbalize anything`` when Lindsey was arrested last year, said Mary Greene, coordinator of the county`s Crimes Against Children unit.
On Oct. 7, detectives with the Boynton Beach Police Department interviewed the boy, who now lives with foster parents in central Florida. The family is making arrangements to adopt the boy, Greene said.
According to court documents, the boy told police nothing about sexual abuse when Lindsey was arrested last year. Two weeks ago, the 8-year-old told police he better understands ``right and wrong`` and decided to talk to someone about Lindsey.
``It`s not uncommon for a delayed outburst from a child,`` Greene said on Tuesday.
The boy told police that the sexual abuse began within a week of his arrival at Lindsey`s home as a 6-year-old foster child, according to court records. The boy stayed with Lindsey from May 8, 1986, until May 23, 1987.
Lindsey, 44, now lives in Ocala with his wife, Teresa Van Riper, and is free on $5,000 bond.
Defense attorney Richard Lubin said he was making arrangements for Lindsey to turn himself in on the new charges.
``He`s going to go surrender,`` Lubin said. ``Since he is innocent until proven guilty, he`s going to deal with it in the courts.``
When he was arrested in June 1987, Lindsey was charged in connection with allegations by his eldest adopted son, the boy`s friend and three other adopted sons.
Shortly after Lindsey`s arrest, however, the three younger boys recanted their statements. Those charges were dropped.
Lindsey`s oldest son said on Tuesday he expected the new charges to bolster his own case against his father and he applauded the 8-year-old for taking his case to police.
``I`m really glad (he) decided to come forward,`` the 19-year-old said. ``It will be easier for him in the long run trying to get over the problems, rather than denying them.``
Lindsey, who began adopting children in 1973, was among the first bachelors in the state to do so. Newspapers praised him for taking in 11 abused and neglected boys.
Now, besides the criminal charges stemming from his eldest son`s statement, Lindsey faces a lawsuit filed by the 19-year-old boy. The boy has also sued state officials who placed him in Lindsey`s home.
Lubin would not say where Lindsey was on Tuesday, or when Lindsey planned to surrender to police.