Defense seeks trial delay for Ohio Guardsman accused of sexually abusing adopted daughters

Date: 2015-01-19

MARYSVILLE, Ohio — A defense attorney is asking a court to postpone the trial of an Ohio National Guardsman accused of sexually abusing three adopted daughters and his stepdaughter and trying to keep other children in the family from discussing what they knew.

The 41-year-old Marysville man has pleaded not guilty on 35 counts alleging he abused the girls, abruptly sent a fourth adopted daughter out of state and threatened other children with a similar fate to keep them from talking. His trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 26.

In a motion requesting a delay, the defense said it needs more time to review medical records, contact between the victims and the prosecutor's office, and allegations of inappropriate sexual contact involving parties associated with the case. In regard to that unspecified sexual contact, the defense also sought court approval to pay for someone to review what was investigated and documented.

The office of the Guardsman's attorney has said he won't discuss the case.

The defendant, who told a military publication years ago that he wanted to adopt a girl from Africa to protect her from rape, was originally charged last year. The charges include rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition, intimidation and tampering with evidence.

Court documents indicate the girls were under 13 at the time of the alleged abuse, with one as young as 5.

The defendant's wife also is charged with intimidation and obstruction but not abuse. She also pleaded not guilty, and her attorney declined to comment while the case is pending.

The Associated Press isn't naming the couple to protect the children's identities.

A local prosecutor said last fall that the children were no longer living with the father.

The Guardsman remains a major with an Ohio National Guard unit out of Springfield and works one weekend per month, according to the organization's community relations office

0

Pound Pup Legacy