Teen accused of raping younger boys will remain behind bars

Date: 2012-01-11
Source: Canoe.ca

Teen accused of raping younger boys will remain behind bars
By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

CALGARY - The Calgary teen charged with sexually assaulting three young boys in the foster home they all shared will remain behind bars until at least next Monday.

The 13-year-old appeared briefly in youth court on Wednesday via closed circuit television, where Crown prosecutor Carla MacPhail and defence counsel Ian McNish asked that his bail hearing be set for next week.

Outside court, MacPhail said she is still awaiting further information before deciding whether to seek the youth’s detention.

The boy was arrested last week in connection with a Jan. 3, incident in which a witness reported to police seeing “an assault in progress,” at a Calgary home just before 10 p.m.

The youth faces three charges each of sexual assault and sexual interference for the alleged abuse of three children aged two, four and six.

Child abuse Det. Stephen Johnston said after the teen’s arrest the case was one of the more disturbing he’s dealt with.

“It is definitely shocking and quite horrifying,” Johnston said.

The three alleged victims have been removed from the home and government officials are investigating whether foster care procedures were properly followed.

The accused is being housed at the Calgary Young Offender Centre and while he is permitted to be in general population, he must be supervised at all times according to a court order.

He also must not have a cellmate and have separate sleeping arrangements, judges Stephen Lipton and Richard O’Gorman ordered.

kevin.martin@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter: @KMartinCourts

0

Pound Pup Legacy