Child Dies From Vinegar Ingestion
A 5-year-old Lexington child's death by vinegar ingestion is being investigated as a homicide.
According to the Fayette County Coroner, Joseph Adams was brought to the UK Medical Center on December 3rd, 2011 after going unresponsive at home. He was pronounced dead there and his case was forwarded to the coroner for investigation.
In an interview with Gary Ginn, the Fayette County Coroner, he said that he'd never seen a case in which a person had died by ingesting vinegar. He also included, "The child did not drink the vinegar on his own accord--that MUCH vinegar on his own accord. So, uh, because of the amount and because of it being lethal, it is--our manner of death and ruling on it is gonna be homicide."
Police say that, although it's still early in the investigation, indications are that the 5-year-old's parents gave him the vinegar.