The Watch List: The medication of foster children
- America's Foster Care System: Test Lab for Big Pharma, Cash Cow for Caretakers?
- Heavily Medicated Kids in Foster Care Reaching Alarming Numbers?
- DCF Report rips way kids get meds
- States wrestle with medicating foster kids
- Docs: Antipsychotics often prescribed for 'problems of living'
- Some Texas foster kids' doctors have drug firm ties
- Psychiatry An Industry Of Death part 1/10
- CPS and Child Drugging
- Foster Kids Given Psychiatric Drugs At Higher Rates
- Psychotropic Drugs: A Troubling Staple of Foster Care
Nearly one in every 10 American children is diagnosed with a mental health disorder. Often the treatment prescribed is medication, and often the medication is heavy-duty — so-called antipsychotic drugs.
In this report, you’ll see that foster care children are prescribed drugs at a rate much greater than that of other kids. Concern over their well-being — not to mention the amount it costs to treat them — has prompted the Government Accountability Office to investigate potentially abusive prescribing practices in America’s state foster care systems. The GAO findings are expected to come out later this year.
Need to Know correspondent Shoshana Guy went to Texas to investigate overuse of psychotropic drugs in foster children, as well as that state’s efforts at reform.