Playing Furious MP accuses Suffolk Council of kidnap [Tim Yeo MP] - Part 1
- 'Stop trying to fix families we can't fix': Barnardo's head's 'heretic' call for bad parents to lose their children
- Families Torn Apart:
- Great British Shame
- MP hits out at adoption policies
- Local authority behaviour over adoption excoriated
- Number of adopted children returned to care has doubled in five years
- Drive to speed up adoptions means children 'may be removed from parents too quickly'
- Adoption system is UK's shameful secret
- Care applications hit 10,000 in a year for first time
Problems viewing videos?
Tim Yeo MP, House of Commons, Westminister, London 25th Nov 2009
Social workers who forced a couple to give up their 11-week-old baby for adoption have been accused of 'child kidnap' by an MP.
Staff waited until the girl's father was out before launching a raid with police at the family home to 'snatch the baby from the arms of her mother'.
Tory MP Tim Yeo used Parliamentary privilege to make the allegations in the Commons, saying Suffolk County Council had declared the couple to be unfit parents despite having no evidence of physical or emotional abuse.
'This council actively seeks opportunities to remove babies from their mothers,' he added.
'Its social work staff do so in a manner which in my view is sometimes tantamount to child kidnapping.'