HC rejects plea to probe adoption agency
Submitted by Kerry on Wed, 2009-11-04 22:42.
- Barriers to adopting a baby in Andhra Pradesh
- 'Stolen babies' adoption racket
- Hole that swallows babies - how kids are spirited away
- Babies for sale
- The horrifying story of Vanessa Pearce
- Website launched to make adoption process more transparent
- Indian mum demands return of stolen daughter
- Stolen child 'OK to stay in Queensland'
- Govt mulling to tighten post-adoption follow-up
- Overseas adoption racket: How children are sneaked out by the hundreds
The Bombay high court on Wednesday rejected a 66-year-old Satara resident's plea seeking a criminal probe against a Pune-based adoption
Kisabai had claimed that her granddaughters, aged 10 and five then, had gone "missing'' from a remand home in 2004. She claimed to have later learnt that the girls had been adopted by a Spanish couple. Kisabai urged the court to order criminal prosecution of the agency for "cheating and kidnapping''.
The agency informed the court that Kisabai had herself brought the girls to the authorities as she was unable to provide for them. The Child Welfare Committee (CWC) and the Central Adoption Resource Centre (CARA) said all adoptions rules were followed.
CARA alleged that the woman had approached the court five years after the adoption with an "ulterior motive''. The high court, while rejecting the petition, said that Kisabai was free to challenge the adoption.