Salt death killer in report call

Relates to:
Date: 2005-09-25
Source: BBC

A husband jailed for killing a toddler by force-feeding him salt is asking to see a social services report examining the child's previous health records.
Ian Gay and his wife Angela were convicted of three-year-old Christian Blewitt's manslaughter in January.

The youngster died in hospital in 2002 after falling unconscious at their Bromsgrove home.

Speaking to the BBC from prison Ian Gay insisted they were innocent and said the report should be made public.

The Gays were each jailed for five years.

They are hoping to appeal against their convictions.

Mr Gay, currently serving his sentence in Usk Prison in Scotland, said: "A lot of Christian's previous medical problems were swept under the carpet."

His solicitor, William Bache, said Sandwell Social Services had carried out its own investigation into Christian's health and prepared the report.

"I would like to see it and I do not quite understand why we are not being shown it," he said.

He said he would be prepared to go to court in an effort to examine its findings.

Sandwell Social Services said it wanted to hold talks between the two legal teams in the case and after that the report would be made public.

In a statement, Dr David Low, chairman of the Sandwell Area Child Protection Committee (ACPC) said they were willing to release the executive summary and recommendations of the serious case review it carried out following Christian's death after those meetings.

He said: "The ACPC is trying to complete those discussions as quickly as possible.

"Once they are completed, the ACPC will be able to make a further statement on release of the summary and recommendations."

Christian was put on a trial placement with the couple, together with his younger brother and sister, in November 2002.

Prosecutors said the Gays force fed the boy up to four teaspoons of salt as a punishment for bad behaviour.

Tests found he had excessive levels of sodium in his blood and CT scans showed he had suffered brain damage.

The court heard evidence from numerous medical experts but was told it may never be known what happened to the boy.

On Wednesday Mr Gay said: "I shouldn't be here.

"I am still not guilty. Just because months have passed nothing has changed."


Pound Pup Legacy