Man charged in infant's death

Relates to:
Date: 2000-12-20

By Pat Reavy
Deseret News staff writer

The father of an adopted 40-day-old girl remained in the Salt Lake County Jail Wednesday charged with child abuse, a second-degree felony.
The girl died Tuesday afternoon at Primary Children's Medical Center.

Investigators said the baby had cranial bleeding and other injuries consistent with shaken baby syndrome, Sgt. Dean Adams said.
The infant was taken to Alta View Hospital Monday and flown by medical helicopter to Primary Children's. She died Tuesday about 4:20 p.m.

Edd Morgan, 42, is being held without bail and has made no statements to detectives, Adams said.
Morgan is married and has another 3-year old daughter.

The girl's death is the latest in what has already been a disturbing year for homicide cases linked to child abuse or domestic violence.
On Feb. 8, the body of a 4-day-old boy was found at a miniature golf course in St. George. His mother was charged with criminal homicide.

Feb. 15, a 22-month-old boy died from brain contusions in Kamas. The mother's boyfriend was charged with homicide.
Aug. 6, Trevor Wagner, 6, was allegedly beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend.
Sept. 15, David Ayotte was charged with shaking his 2-month-old baby to death in Brigham City.
Sept. 28, Anderson Black was charged with stabbing his two children, ages 1 and 3, to death at their home on the Navajo Reservation.

In addition to the slain children, at least five women have been killed in Utah this year as a result of domestic violence.
In 1999, there were 10 domestic violence-related slayings. Only four of those victims were children, said Brandy Farmer, domestic violence program coordinator for the Utah Attorney General's Office.

"Domestic violence is becoming more serious and more lethal," Farmer said.
Support groups for domestic violence victims said such crimes need to be taken more seriously in Utah and repeat offenders should receive harsher penalties.


Pound Pup Legacy