Young boys abused after being placed in foster care
Published: Thursday, 21st August, East Lothian Courier
TWO young boys were subjected to years of sex abuse after being placed in foster care.
Kenneth Wilson preyed on the children from the age of five and six after “teaching” them how to perform sex acts.
Wilson, 27, of Dunbar, admitted sexually assaulting one youngster over a nine-year period and indecent behaviour towards a second boy, when he appeared at the High Court in Edinburgh on Monday.
Advocate depute Claire Wilkinson said: “These offences have had a devastating impact on both victims.
“They were placed in foster care because of neglect and mistreatment at a very young age, only to find that they were even less safe in their new home.”
She said the boys came from “a very troubled background”.
Their mother became a drug addict and moved to London and the father was unable to cope with them.
The advocate depute said the children were put into care with families.
She added: “After extensive social work intervention, it was decided to place the children into permanent care away from their family.”
The two boys were placed into foster care with the mother of Wilson.
Miss Wilkinson said: “During their time in foster care, they had little by way of toys or personal possessions, were noted to be poorly clothed and were regularly placed in a box room as punishment.
“Over the years their behaviour deteriorated both at home and at school but this was put down to their difficulties from early childhood, rather than any current issues,” she told the court.
But Wilson was subjecting both children to sexual abuse which took place at a house in the Lothians and abroad. He showed both children how to perform sex acts on him.
Miss Wilkinson told the court: “Both victims tried to block out the abuse by the accused and although they were both aware of what was happening to the other, they did not discuss it.”
“As the abuse of both commenced when they were very young, the accused taught them what to do and they did not realise that this was not normal behaviour until they were much older,” she said.
“They had no one whom they could tell about the abuse as they knew no adults who they could trust. Both feared what would happen if they told anyone and were scared of the accused,” she told the court.
The younger boy was eventually put into “emergency respite care” with a woman because of his worsening behaviour. He was supposed to stay for a weekend but refused to return to his foster home.
He was later joined by his brother who had run away and told the social work department he did not want to stay there.
The advocate depute said it was only last year that the younger boy felt safe enough to reveal to the woman now looking him after that he had suffered sexual abuse from Wilson. The older boy also broke his silence over his ordeal.
Miss Wilkinson said: “Both described feeling relieved that someone now knew about what had happened to them and believed them.”
One victim described Wilson as “sneaky”, coming into his room when no one else was about.
Police and social workers were contacted. Police later interviewed Wilson who at first denied the allegations but later admitted the sex crimes.
Wilson pled guilty to abusing one boy between 1997 and 2006 and the other child between 1997 and 2005.
The Crown accepted pleas of not guilty by Wilson’s mother, Linda (47) to charges of neglecting and ill treating children.
Defence solicitor advocate, Jim Keegan, said Wilson was aware he was liable to face a prison sentence but asked that the first offender be granted bail.
Temporary judge, Roger Craik QC, agreed to release him on bail, but said:
“These are serious matters that you have pled guilty to.”
The judge deferred sentence for the preparation of a background report and risk assessment.