Opportunities for Every Christian to Help Impact the Lives of World's 143 Million Orphans
Cry of the Orphan Utilizes the Resources of FamilyLife, Focus on the Family, and Shaohannah’s Hope to Share the Many Ways YOU Can Make a Difference
Nov. 8, 2007 - There are currently 143 million orphans around the world. When facing such a staggering number is it possible for someone to really make a difference? The answer is yes - and Cry of the Orphan is on a mission to show people how they can help.
Utilizing the resources of FamilyLife, Focus on the Family and Shaohannah’s Hope, Cry of the Orphan has assembled a list of ways EVERY Christian can have an impact on the life of an orphan:
- Be their advocate: Keep a picture of a waiting child on-hand; show it to friends and family, and ask if they, or someone they know, would give the child a home
- Provide financial support: Donate necessity items to an orphanage, financially support reputable orphan care organizations on an ongoing basis or give financially to a family in the process of adoption
- Support adoptive/foster families: Throw a baby shower, offer to baby-sit or organize a few days’ worth of meals when a new child is placed in a friend’s home
- Become a foster parent: Provide a safe, loving home for children in your community who must be removed from their current home
- Adopt a child: Give a child the forever-home they’ve been waiting for
- Pray for them: Next time find yourself waiting—in traffic, in line at the grocery store, in the drive-thru—pray for the 143 million children waiting for a family
These are just some of the many practical ways Christians can get involved in caring for orphans. The rest of this list is provided at CryoftheOrphan.org, along with tips and resources to help people navigate through the adoption process, get their churches involved in caring for orphans, and better understand God’s heart on this issue.
Nov. 12-16, the Cry of the Orphan campaign will share its message with millions of people across the country. That’s when popular radio hosts Dennis Rainey of FamilyLife Today, Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family and Howard Dayton of Money Matters will work together - devoting their daily broadcasts and utilizing their organizations’ resources to show people how they can respond to the orphan crisis.
Programming details for Cry of the Orphan week on FamilyLife Today,
Focus on the Family and Money Matters radio broadcasts are available at www.CryoftheOrphan.org.