A former Hakalau resident accused in a lawsuit of sexually abusing five of his adopted sons has been located in Florida.
Jay Ram was served with the lawsuit, filed in Honolulu Circuit Court in March, earlier this month after being tracked to the rural community of Odessa, outside Tampa, Fla., said Honolulu attorney Mark Gallagher, who is representing the plaintiffs. He had recently moved there from Saipan.
Gallagher said Ram, now going by the name Jay Mizraha, is living with three other males, either teenagers or young men. The youngest is believed to be a teenager from Hilo, said Joelle Casteix of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.
Casteix is acting as an advocate for the five unnamed plaintiffs, though Ram was not part of a religious organization.
Ram is facing civil charges over the alleged abuse of the plaintiffs, who lived with him in the 1980s and early 1990s in California or on a farm in Hakalau. The statute of limitations has prevented criminal charges from being sought.
That could change if there are younger victims who come forward, Casteix said.
We've learned new details about the case of a Sperry couple accused of torturing their four adopted children.
The first two arrests came in March 2012, when two parents were charged with abusing their adopted kids. Now, the couple's biological son is accused of preying on the same four children.
Investigators say four children endured heinous physical and sexual abuse at the hands of their adoptive mother and father inside their Sperry home. Aubrey and Lora Lee Thomas were arrested nearly two years ago.
Now, investigators say the couple's biological son was also in on the abuse.
3/14/2012 Related Story: Affidavit: Osage County Couple Forced Children To Eat Vomit, Manure
An affidavit says Garrett Thomas, who is now 23, was using the children for his own sexual gratification.
The children claim their adoptive brother forced them to play a game which involved them touching his anus.
An affidavit says Garrett admitted to abusing his adoptive siblings five times when he was 18. He also told investigators he would make the children play "patty cake" with his naked butt.
MONROE, N.C. — Months before an 11-year-old boy was found handcuffed to a porch in Union County in November with a dead chicken tied to his neck, teachers at the boy's former school tried to alert authorities that he might be a victim of child neglect.
The boy's guardians, Wanda Sue Larson and Dorian Harper, have been indicted on 21 charges in connection with abuse that investigators say occurred in their home between August and November. The Monroe couple, both 57, are also accused of chaining the boy to a piece of railroad track in his room – he once broke his wrist trying to escape – and Harper is accused of cutting the boy's face with a knife and using an electric wire to burn his face.
Larson and Harper have been fired from their respective jobs as a supervisor with the local Department of Social Services and an emergency room nurse. Both remain in jail awaiting trial, and the boy and four other children have been removed from the home and are in the custody of the Davidson County Division of Social Services.
Australian pedophile gets 30 years in US jail for abusing Russian-born boy
Published time: December 10, 2013 06:06
Edited time: December 10, 2013 09:16
An Australian, who together with his domestic partner, bought a newborn boy in Russia and allowed men around the world to abuse him, has been sentenced in a US court to 30 years in jail.
Peter Truong, 36, born in Vietnam, and his partner Mark Newton, 42, born in the US, both Australian citizens, bought a newborn boy in Russia for US$8,000, according to prosecutors.
The boy’s birth papers were falsified to list Newton as his biological father. The fraud then allowed the boy to be adopted and taken to Queensland, Australia, where the pair lived.
Law enforcers assume the pair allowed at least eight men in different countries, including Australia, the US, Germany and France, to abuse the boy between the ages of two and six. The men recorded videos of their own sexual assaults on the baby and distributed them across a global pedophile web-source, known as the Boy Lovers Network.
Girl's death spark calls for child services oversight
Updated: 2013-12-10 01:15
By Jin Haixing (China Daily)
Experts have renewed calls for a government department to oversee child protection cases after a couple in Hunan province was accused of beating their adopted daughter to death.
Police in Hunan said a couple was detained last month on suspicion of killing the 3-year-old girl.
Police did not identify the husband's name because an investigation into the death is ongoing. However, the woman has been identified in Chinese media as having the surname Yi.
The family's lawyer, Huang Fulin, said on Thursday that Yi severely beat her daughter for wetting her pants on Nov 24 at their home in Zhuzhou's Lusong district.
The next day, when the parents came home from work, they found the child dead. The father then notified police of the beating.
Huang said Yi has confessed that she repeatedly beat her adopted daughter to correct bad habits.
Dad gets 30 years for letting adults have sex with young son
Dec. 9, 2013
An Australian citizen was sentenced Monday in federal court to 30 years in prison for his role in a bizarre scheme in which he and his partner made their young adopted son available to at least eight other people for sex.
Peter Truong, 36, was the second person sentenced in the case by federal judge Sarah Evans Barker.
In June, Mark J. Newton, 42, an American who had been living in Australia, was handed the 40-year maximum sentence on federal charges of conspiracy to sexually exploit a minor and conspiracy to possess child pornography.
The case was prosecuted in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana because images of sex acts involving the young boy were found on the computer of an Anderson man, said U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett. That discovery was made in a larger child exploitation and pornography investigation.
The child victim, identified in court as Boy 1, was made available for sex with at least eight men from when he was a toddler to about 6 years old, according to court documents.
Malaysian couple held over death of teen from abuse
A Malaysian couple have been arrested after their adopted daughter died having been in a coma in hospital.
Police suspect the 18-year-old adopted daughter had been abused over the
past several months. She had been in a coma and died in hospital last night, local media reports said.
The Star reported that she died at 8.40pm. The girl's adoptive parents were arrested in Langkawi following a tip-off from the hospital.
MONROE, NC - A social services worker and a hospital nurse were in a North Carolina jail after a deputy spotted their 11-year-old foster child shivering and handcuffed to the front porch -- with a dead chicken around his neck, authorities said Saturday.
The boy and four adopted children in the home south of Monroe were taken away Friday and are in the custody of an outside agency, according to Union County Sheriff Eddie Cathey.
Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson, both 57, face charges of intentional child abuse inflicting serious injury, false imprisonment, and cruelty to animals, officials said.
Larson also faces charges of willful failure to discharge her duty as a public official. She's a supervisor with the Union County Department of Social Services.
The department "strives to help families support themselves and to provide care and protection for children, the disabled, and the elderly," says its website.
The foster parents of an 11-year-old boy found last week with his ankle handcuffed to a porch post and a dead chicken tied around his neck asked a North Carolina judge Monday for court-appointed attorneys to represent them.
Monday's hearing was the first court appearance in this case for Wanda Sue Larson, a supervisor with the Union County Department of Social Services, and Dorian Lee Harper, an emergency room nurse at CMC-Union in Monroe.
Larson and Harper were arrested Friday and charged with intentional child abuse inflicting serious injury, false imprisonment and cruelty to animals. Larson also faces charges of willful failure to discharge her duty as a public official.
Both Harper and Larson stood quietly in court during Monday's hearing.
Harper's bond is set at $500,000, and Larson's is $525,000. They have not posted bond and remain in the custody of the Union County Sheriff's Department.
A child’s death divides medical community in high-profile Chico murder trial
By Marjie Lundstrom firstname.lastname@example.org
Published: Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013 - 12:00 am
On April 18, 2012, a 2-year-old boy was rushed by ambulance to a Chico emergency room, then whisked by helicopter to Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento.
Benjamin Yhip had been here before. The previous November, the little boy had been hospitalized for four days at the aging East Sacramento facility, where a medical team puzzled over his malnourished, dehydrated figure and failing kidneys.
At the time, one pediatric neurologist thought, it seemed that Benjamin was a “profoundly sick boy” who “did not have long to live,” according to Butte County court documents.
RCMP say at least nine B.C. residents facing charges in huge international child porn sting
BY TIFFANY CRAWFORD, VANCOUVER SUN NOVEMBER 15, 2013 8:06 AM
RCMP say at least nine B.C. residents facing charges in huge international child porn sting
Toronto police chief Bill Blair held a press conference Thursday about Project Spade, a three-year, worldwide child exploitation investigation involving child pornography. The investigation lead to 386 children being rescued which include 24 Canadian children and 341 people arrested worldwide.
Photograph by: Michelle Siu , National Post
Mounties say at least nine of the more than 300 people arrested in a massive international child pornography bust are from British Columbia.
Sgt. Rob Vermeulen, a spokesman for the B.C. RCMP, said Friday that so far Crown Counsel has approved charges against six of those individuals.
Child porn bust: The men who were charged
As part of Project Spade, hundreds of people were charged from all over the world, including Canada. They were teachers, doctors, priests . . .
Dr. Mark Shaffer was one of the people swept up in the Project Spade investigation.
By: Jennifer Quinn News reporter, Julian Sher Investigative News reporter, Published on Thu Nov 14 2013
The bedroom resembled that of a teenager: Hockey posters on the wall. A computer.
The man it belonged to was in his late 40s.
Police had a serious reason for being in the Chatham, Ont., home where Ronald Inghelbrecht lived with his mother: officers in Toronto suspected he was a customer of a website that sold child pornography, and the Ontario Provincial Police were there to look for evidence.
“I would describe his room as being adolescent — like he decorated it when he was 12, or 14, and he never changed it,” said OPP Detective David Beckon.
No moves for peer probe into gynaecologist in illegal adoption case
THE head of the gynaecological association Marios Liasides said on Tuesday they were not investigating one of their peers over alleged misconduct in an illegal adoption case, but did advise their members to be “careful” in their actions.
A Larnaca gynaecologist, 48, is under police investigation for allegedly advising a woman against having an abortion, recommending instead an adoption.
The Bulgarian national recently gave birth and her newborn boy is now under the care of the welfare office as the biological parents, both Bulgarians, and the prospective adoptive parents, from Famagusta, are also being investigated.
A court heard on Saturday during a remand hearing that the boy’s mother agreed to take €10,000 to give her child up for adoption and was allegedly told by the doctor he would be assuming the cost of the pregnancy.