A state review of the Union County Department of Human Services has found numerous failures in the agency's operations over the last three years.
Union County asked the state to conduct the review after a child protective services supervisor was charged with child abuse in November after an eleven-year-old boy she was caring for was found handcuffed to a porch.
Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson were indicted on child abuse charges in December. Larson was fired from her job as a child protective services supervisor.
Though the case of Wanda Sue Larson spurred the review, the report found problems that went beyond her role at DSS.
And what the state found was a broken system. The report primarily blames a lack of leadership. Richard Matens who became executive director of Union County's DHS in June says the problems go back five years.
"Having three permanent directors and two times when we had interim directors within these programs created a great deal of instability within these programs and so a lot of times, things weren't followed through," Matens says.
Adoptive father accused of brutal murder of Korean child
Posted on : Feb.21,2014 11:34 KSTModified on : Feb.21,2014 11:37 KST
Military veteran denying charge of first-degree murder in suspicious death of 3-year-old boy
By Jeon Jeong-yun, staff reporter
Hyun-su was born premature in 2010 at only 2.1kg. He was abandoned by his mother and adopted by an American family in Oct. 2013 under the new name, ‘Madoc Hyun-su O’Callaghan’. This 3-year-old toddler then died on Feb 3, only three months after he was adopted. A skull fracture is currently being pointed to as the cause of his death. His adoptive father, Brian Patrick O’Callaghan, 36, is a National Security Agency worker who specializes in Korea, and is facing charges of first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his adopted son.
Brian Patrick O' Callaghan charged with murdering 3 year old son
By Brad Bell February 18, 2014 - 09:27 am
DAMASCUS, Md. (AP) - Montgomery County police say a Damascus man has been charged in the death of his 3-year-old son.
Police announced Tuesday that 36-year-old Brian O'Callaghan, an NSA analyst and former combat Marine, has been charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his adopted son, Hyunsu, earlier this month.
It is alleged that sometime between January 31 and February 2 in the family’s Damascus home, O’Callaghan beat to the death the three-year-old boy he and his wife adopted from Korea jus three months earlier.
"The injuries to this child were catastrophic injuries," said State's Attorney John McCarthy. "I think the evidence supports the charges that were brought."
Montgomery County man is charged with killing his 3-year-old adopted son
By Dan Morse and Dana Hedgpeth, Published: February 18 E-mail the writers
Brian O’Callaghan fought in Iraq, mastered Arabic and became a division chief at the National Security Agency. Last year, wanting a second child for their young family, he and his wife adopted a 3-year-old boy from South Korea.
“He was so loving of him,” a family member said.
It is a background that made allegations revealed in Montgomery County District Court on Tuesday seem all the more stunning: Alone with the boy — with his wife out of town, his other son in a different part of the house — O’Callaghan repeatedly struck the child, hitting him so hard that the boy died two days later.
“An absolutely horrific crime on an absolutely innocent young victim,” said Assistant State’s Attorney Donna Fenton, listing injuries to the boy’s head, neck and back. “Basically this child was beaten to death from head to toe.”
Madoc Hyeonsu O'Callaghan, age 3, of Damascus, Md., passed away Monday, February 3, 2014, at Children's Hospital National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Born in South Korea, Madoc joined his forever family, October 23, 2013, and from that day on he was a smiling, content, and loving son and brother. He loved his dogs, his big brother Aidan, and anything his parents made for him to eat.
He wasn't dealt the simplest hand in life, but he found something to love in it every day. He is survived by his parents Brian and Jennifer O'Callaghan, his brother Aidan and his dog Buddy.
State poised to yank Utah adoption agency’s license
Adoption » It’s not the first time agency has faced state scrutiny.
By Brooke Adams | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Feb 12 2014 06:58 pm • Last Updated Feb 12 2014 10:16 pm
A Utah agency that has come under fire in the past for its involvement in controversial adoptions has been put on notice that the state plans to revoke its license after it continued to accept new clients despite being prohibited from doing so.
The Adoption Center of Choice has until Feb. 20 to respond to the revocation notice from the Office of Licensing for the Utah Department of Human Services.
The action follows a notice issued last September, when the agency was told to correct various operating problems and given a probationary license that expires at the end of the month.
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Four Employees of Adoption Services Provider Charged with Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in Connection with Ethiopia Operations
Four current and former employees of International Adoption Guides Inc. (IAG), an adoption services provider, have been indicted by a grand jury in South Carolina for allegedly conspiring to defraud the United States in connection with IAG’s adoption services in Ethiopia. IAG is a South Carolina company that identified children in Ethiopia for adoption and arranged for their adoption by U.S.-based parents.
Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney William N. Nettles of the District of South Carolina and Assistant Secretary Gregory B. Starr of the Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security made the announcement.
Dylan Farrow's Brother Moses Defends Woody Allen
By ALICIA DENNIS
UPDATED 02/05/2014 at 11:00 AM EST • Originally published 02/05/2014 at 08:30 AM EST
Dylan Farrow's Brother Moses Defends Woody Allen
Dylan Farrow's Feb. 1 open letter to The New York Times detailing sexual molestation she says she suffered at the hands of her father Woody Allen reignited a controversy that has divided their family bitterly for more than 20 years.
Now her brother Moses Farrow is speaking out to defend Allen – and accuse their mother, Mia Farrow, of poisoning the children against their father.
"My mother drummed it into me to hate my father for tearing apart the family and sexually molesting my sister," Moses, 36, tells PEOPLE in the magazine's new issue. "And I hated him for her for years. I see now that this was a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi."
Moses Farrow does not believe his younger sister, Dylan, was ever sexually abused by Woody Allen.
"Of course Woody did not molest my sister," Mia Farrow's 36-year-old estranged adopted son told People in an interview released on Wednesday. "She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him."
Moses, a family therapist who is now close to Allen and his wife, Soon-Yi Previn, told the publication that his mother "drummed" hate into his heart for Allen, but now believes the accusations of Dylan's molestation were "a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi," Farrow's daughter from a previous marriage.
A note from Nicholas Kristof: In 1993, accusations that Woody Allen had abused his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, filled the headlines, part of a sensational story about the celebrity split between Allen and his girlfriend, Mia Farrow. This is a case that has been written about endlessly, but this is the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public. It’s important to note that Woody Allen was never prosecuted in this case and has consistently denied wrongdoing; he deserves the presumption of innocence. So why publish an account of an old case on my blog? Partly because the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen ignited a debate about the propriety of the award. Partly because the root issue here isn’t celebrity but sex abuse. And partly because countless people on all sides have written passionately about these events, but we haven’t fully heard from the young woman who was at the heart of them. I’ve written a column about this, but it’s time for the world to hear Dylan’s story in her own words.)
Twenty-one years after the first allegations that Woody Allen abused his adopted daughter, that incident is back in the news thanks to the director’s ex-partner, Mia Farrow, and estranged son, Ronan Farrow. But what does a closer examination reveal?
Editor's Note, Feb. 1: Dylan Farrow wrote an open letter in the New York Times addressing her allegations against Woody Allen for the first time in public. Read it here.
As anyone with access to a computer knows, Woody Allen has been pilloried of late across the internet, over allegations that 21 years ago, he molested the daughter he and Mia Farrow adopted in 1985. Countless people have weighed in on this, many of them without the slightest idea of what the facts are in this matter. I consider myself allergic to gossip and tabloids, and go out of my way to avoid them. So when a celebrity is being devoured by the two-headed piranha of gossip and innuendo, I usually have minimal understanding of what they did, or were alleged to have done. Woody Allen is an exception.
Did Woody Allen Molest His Adopted Daughter 22 Years Ago?
Let’s take a break from the Hollywood tributes to him and reconsider the evidence.
By Jessica Winter
For more than 20 years, any and every new Woody Allen movie has provided occasion for handwringing over the director’s personal life: his ghastly 1992 split from Mia Farrow; his affair with Farrow’s college-age adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn (whom he later married); and worst of all by far, there were the allegations that Allen molested the daughter he adopted with Farrow, 7-year-old Dylan.
BATAVIA, OH (FOX19) -
A Clermont County judge on Friday convicted a Batavia Township man of endangering children and felonious assault for abusing his 9-year-old adopted son.
John A. Kelley, 46, will be sentenced in February. He faces 2-8 years in prison and a $15,000 fine for each count.
Prosecutors say Kelley and his wife adopted the boy in November 2012 after acting as the child's foster parents for the previous 11 months. The boy had been in eight different homes.
The boy had received counseling since 2009. He was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder after witnessing domestic violence in his biological home. When Kelley and his wife started fostering the boy, they signed an agreement that said they would not use corporal punishment.
When in their home, the boy had temper tantrums, threw items and urinated in the residence.
Kelley's disciplinary measures for the child included taking the boy to a local Kroger store and forcing him to wear a sign that read "I pee on my family if I don't get my way!"