Moses Farrow does not believe his younger sister, Dylan, was ever sexually abused by Woody Allen.
"Of course Woody did not molest my sister," Mia Farrow's 36-year-old estranged adopted son told People in an interview released on Wednesday. "She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him."
Moses, a family therapist who is now close to Allen and his wife, Soon-Yi Previn, told the publication that his mother "drummed" hate into his heart for Allen, but now believes the accusations of Dylan's molestation were "a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi," Farrow's daughter from a previous marriage.
A note from Nicholas Kristof: In 1993, accusations that Woody Allen had abused his adoptive daughter, Dylan Farrow, filled the headlines, part of a sensational story about the celebrity split between Allen and his girlfriend, Mia Farrow. This is a case that has been written about endlessly, but this is the first time that Dylan Farrow herself has written about it in public. It’s important to note that Woody Allen was never prosecuted in this case and has consistently denied wrongdoing; he deserves the presumption of innocence. So why publish an account of an old case on my blog? Partly because the Golden Globe lifetime achievement award to Allen ignited a debate about the propriety of the award. Partly because the root issue here isn’t celebrity but sex abuse. And partly because countless people on all sides have written passionately about these events, but we haven’t fully heard from the young woman who was at the heart of them. I’ve written a column about this, but it’s time for the world to hear Dylan’s story in her own words.)
Twenty-one years after the first allegations that Woody Allen abused his adopted daughter, that incident is back in the news thanks to the director’s ex-partner, Mia Farrow, and estranged son, Ronan Farrow. But what does a closer examination reveal?
Editor's Note, Feb. 1: Dylan Farrow wrote an open letter in the New York Times addressing her allegations against Woody Allen for the first time in public. Read it here.
As anyone with access to a computer knows, Woody Allen has been pilloried of late across the internet, over allegations that 21 years ago, he molested the daughter he and Mia Farrow adopted in 1985. Countless people have weighed in on this, many of them without the slightest idea of what the facts are in this matter. I consider myself allergic to gossip and tabloids, and go out of my way to avoid them. So when a celebrity is being devoured by the two-headed piranha of gossip and innuendo, I usually have minimal understanding of what they did, or were alleged to have done. Woody Allen is an exception.
Did Woody Allen Molest His Adopted Daughter 22 Years Ago?
Let’s take a break from the Hollywood tributes to him and reconsider the evidence.
By Jessica Winter
For more than 20 years, any and every new Woody Allen movie has provided occasion for handwringing over the director’s personal life: his ghastly 1992 split from Mia Farrow; his affair with Farrow’s college-age adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn (whom he later married); and worst of all by far, there were the allegations that Allen molested the daughter he adopted with Farrow, 7-year-old Dylan.
BATAVIA, OH (FOX19) -
A Clermont County judge on Friday convicted a Batavia Township man of endangering children and felonious assault for abusing his 9-year-old adopted son.
John A. Kelley, 46, will be sentenced in February. He faces 2-8 years in prison and a $15,000 fine for each count.
Prosecutors say Kelley and his wife adopted the boy in November 2012 after acting as the child's foster parents for the previous 11 months. The boy had been in eight different homes.
The boy had received counseling since 2009. He was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder after witnessing domestic violence in his biological home. When Kelley and his wife started fostering the boy, they signed an agreement that said they would not use corporal punishment.
When in their home, the boy had temper tantrums, threw items and urinated in the residence.
Kelley's disciplinary measures for the child included taking the boy to a local Kroger store and forcing him to wear a sign that read "I pee on my family if I don't get my way!"
A former Hakalau resident accused in a lawsuit of sexually abusing five of his adopted sons has been located in Florida.
Jay Ram was served with the lawsuit, filed in Honolulu Circuit Court in March, earlier this month after being tracked to the rural community of Odessa, outside Tampa, Fla., said Honolulu attorney Mark Gallagher, who is representing the plaintiffs. He had recently moved there from Saipan.
Gallagher said Ram, now going by the name Jay Mizraha, is living with three other males, either teenagers or young men. The youngest is believed to be a teenager from Hilo, said Joelle Casteix of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests.
Casteix is acting as an advocate for the five unnamed plaintiffs, though Ram was not part of a religious organization.
Ram is facing civil charges over the alleged abuse of the plaintiffs, who lived with him in the 1980s and early 1990s in California or on a farm in Hakalau. The statute of limitations has prevented criminal charges from being sought.
That could change if there are younger victims who come forward, Casteix said.
It’s been 14 years since 11-year-old Adam Joseph Herrman vanished from home.
It’s been about five years since his adopted sister called authorities, saying she was worried.
It’s been more than five years since Kelly Herzet, now Butler County sheriff, took on the case.
After a long span devoid of fruitful leads, Herzet was hopeful a $50,000 reward offered last month for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the boy’s disappearance would spur the tip that solves the mystery.
By late Monday, about a half-dozen people had called. None yielded new clues.
Adam’s adoptive mother, Valerie Herrman, who along with husband, Doug, is considered a suspect in the case, called the reward “wonderful news.”
She maintains that Adam ran away, upset over a spanking she says was dealt as discipline.
She says she and her husband searched for Adam. They never found him.
He never came home.
19 missing kids
Disappointment tinges Herzet’s voice as he speaks about the case. He has been in the throes of Adam’s disappearance since 2008.
We've learned new details about the case of a Sperry couple accused of torturing their four adopted children.
The first two arrests came in March 2012, when two parents were charged with abusing their adopted kids. Now, the couple's biological son is accused of preying on the same four children.
Investigators say four children endured heinous physical and sexual abuse at the hands of their adoptive mother and father inside their Sperry home. Aubrey and Lora Lee Thomas were arrested nearly two years ago.
Now, investigators say the couple's biological son was also in on the abuse.
3/14/2012 Related Story: Affidavit: Osage County Couple Forced Children To Eat Vomit, Manure
An affidavit says Garrett Thomas, who is now 23, was using the children for his own sexual gratification.
The children claim their adoptive brother forced them to play a game which involved them touching his anus.
An affidavit says Garrett admitted to abusing his adoptive siblings five times when he was 18. He also told investigators he would make the children play "patty cake" with his naked butt.
MONROE, N.C. — Months before an 11-year-old boy was found handcuffed to a porch in Union County in November with a dead chicken tied to his neck, teachers at the boy's former school tried to alert authorities that he might be a victim of child neglect.
The boy's guardians, Wanda Sue Larson and Dorian Harper, have been indicted on 21 charges in connection with abuse that investigators say occurred in their home between August and November. The Monroe couple, both 57, are also accused of chaining the boy to a piece of railroad track in his room – he once broke his wrist trying to escape – and Harper is accused of cutting the boy's face with a knife and using an electric wire to burn his face.
Larson and Harper have been fired from their respective jobs as a supervisor with the local Department of Social Services and an emergency room nurse. Both remain in jail awaiting trial, and the boy and four other children have been removed from the home and are in the custody of the Davidson County Division of Social Services.
Australian pedophile gets 30 years in US jail for abusing Russian-born boy
Published time: December 10, 2013 06:06
Edited time: December 10, 2013 09:16
An Australian, who together with his domestic partner, bought a newborn boy in Russia and allowed men around the world to abuse him, has been sentenced in a US court to 30 years in jail.
Peter Truong, 36, born in Vietnam, and his partner Mark Newton, 42, born in the US, both Australian citizens, bought a newborn boy in Russia for US$8,000, according to prosecutors.
The boy’s birth papers were falsified to list Newton as his biological father. The fraud then allowed the boy to be adopted and taken to Queensland, Australia, where the pair lived.
Law enforcers assume the pair allowed at least eight men in different countries, including Australia, the US, Germany and France, to abuse the boy between the ages of two and six. The men recorded videos of their own sexual assaults on the baby and distributed them across a global pedophile web-source, known as the Boy Lovers Network.
Girl's death spark calls for child services oversight
Updated: 2013-12-10 01:15
By Jin Haixing (China Daily)
Experts have renewed calls for a government department to oversee child protection cases after a couple in Hunan province was accused of beating their adopted daughter to death.
Police in Hunan said a couple was detained last month on suspicion of killing the 3-year-old girl.
Police did not identify the husband's name because an investigation into the death is ongoing. However, the woman has been identified in Chinese media as having the surname Yi.
The family's lawyer, Huang Fulin, said on Thursday that Yi severely beat her daughter for wetting her pants on Nov 24 at their home in Zhuzhou's Lusong district.
The next day, when the parents came home from work, they found the child dead. The father then notified police of the beating.
Huang said Yi has confessed that she repeatedly beat her adopted daughter to correct bad habits.
Dad gets 30 years for letting adults have sex with young son
Dec. 9, 2013
An Australian citizen was sentenced Monday in federal court to 30 years in prison for his role in a bizarre scheme in which he and his partner made their young adopted son available to at least eight other people for sex.
Peter Truong, 36, was the second person sentenced in the case by federal judge Sarah Evans Barker.
In June, Mark J. Newton, 42, an American who had been living in Australia, was handed the 40-year maximum sentence on federal charges of conspiracy to sexually exploit a minor and conspiracy to possess child pornography.
The case was prosecuted in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana because images of sex acts involving the young boy were found on the computer of an Anderson man, said U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett. That discovery was made in a larger child exploitation and pornography investigation.
The child victim, identified in court as Boy 1, was made available for sex with at least eight men from when he was a toddler to about 6 years old, according to court documents.
A woman who so severely neglected and starved her grandson that he wasted away and died portrayed herself in testimony Wednesday at a coroner's inquest as the boy's only hope, lest he be shipped off to foster care.
Jeffrey Baldwin died in 2002 at age five, having withered away to the weight of a baby and being unable to lift his own head. His grandmother, Elva Bottineau, kept the boy and one of his sisters in a cold, fetid room, where they slept among their own waste, the inquest has heard.
The children's parents were barely out of childhood themselves when they had four kids in quick succession, and nearly as swiftly they were taken away by children's aid and handed over to the grandparents.
Both Bottineau and her partner Norman Kidman, who are now serving life sentences for Jeffrey's second-degree murder, had previous convictions for child abuse when they were granted custody of Jeffrey and three siblings — something the Catholic Children's Aid Society only discovered in its files after the boy's death.