Since she was adopted and brought to America at age 13, Nita Dittenber was passed from family to family through an underground market for adopted kids. The practice, called "private re-homing," was uncovered last year by a Reuters Investigation
It was the first of several times Michelle offered Nita on the Yahoo group. In her posts, Michelle portrayed Nita as a “bully” with an “attitude of entitlement.” The girl “lies” and is “manipulative,” she wrote, but “does love little kids very much” and has “a soft spot for elderly people as well.”
Each time they transferred custody of Nita, the Dittenbers used a notarized power of attorney document stating that Nita was now in the care of the new family, Tony says. No social workers or attorneys were involved, he says, and there was no official vetting of the parents taking in Nita.
Girl spent months harboring secret, fearing she would be sent away again
By Megan Twohey
Filed March 21, 2014
Authorities say an Ohio mother used ‘re-homing’ to keep allegations of sexual abuse from coming to light
MARYSVILLE, Ohio - On an Internet forum where parents sought takers for adopted children they no longer wanted, a teenager from Haiti was offered more frequently than any other girl.
Starting at age 14, Nita Dittenber was passed among four families over two years through a practice called “private re-homing.”
In September, Reuters exposed an underground market in which desperate parents use online bulletin boards to offer adoptees to strangers, often illegally and with no government oversight. The Internet forums, including the Yahoo group where Nita was advertised, can enable abusers to acquire children easily; in one case, a pedophile in Illinois took home a 10-year-old boy hours after an ad for the child was posted online.
Why One Mother Gave Back Her Adopted Son
By Good Housekeeping | Parenting – Thu, Mar 20, 2014 12:38 PM EDT
A difficult decision was the right choice for Stacey Conner's family.
Stacey Conner, a 41-year-old mom and former attorney from Spokane, Wash., dreamed of having a large family with biological and adopted kids. "The world is a big place with a lot of children in it; we wanted to bring some of those into our family, to give our love to kids without it," she says. After she volunteered in an orphanage in poverty-torn Haiti in 2005, Conner and her husband, Matt, a pharmacist, decided to adopt two children. But the process was so slow that by October 2006, when they brought home their (unrelated) 5-year-old Haitian son and 1-year-old Haitian daughter, Conner had given birth to a son, who was 1. "Having an instant multicultural family was magical," Conner says, "for about two weeks."
Supreme Court rejects ex-York County man's appeal in adopted Russian son's death
By Matt Miller | email@example.com
on March 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM
The state Supreme Court has refused to hear a former York County man's appeal of his involuntary manslaughter, conspiracy and child endangerment convictions in the death of his adopted Russian son.
The state's highest court issued that decision Wednesday, effectively ending 49-year-old Michael J. Craver's legal effort to clear his name in the August 2009 death of his 7-year-old son Nathaniel.
Craver's wife, Nanette, 58, was convicted on identical charges by a York County jury during the couple's trial in 2011. The jury acquitted the former Carroll Township couple of murder charges.
Both Cravers, who now live in Carbon County, were sentenced to 16 months to 4 years in prison, plus 5 years of probation. A county judge ordered their release from prison when he sentenced them in November 2011 because they had already spent 19 months behind bars.
Adoptive father accused of brutal murder of Korean child
Posted on : Feb.21,2014 11:34 KSTModified on : Feb.21,2014 11:37 KST
Military veteran denying charge of first-degree murder in suspicious death of 3-year-old boy
By Jeon Jeong-yun, staff reporter
Hyun-su was born premature in 2010 at only 2.1kg. He was abandoned by his mother and adopted by an American family in Oct. 2013 under the new name, ‘Madoc Hyun-su O’Callaghan’. This 3-year-old toddler then died on Feb 3, only three months after he was adopted. A skull fracture is currently being pointed to as the cause of his death. His adoptive father, Brian Patrick O’Callaghan, 36, is a National Security Agency worker who specializes in Korea, and is facing charges of first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his adopted son.
Montgomery County man is charged with killing his 3-year-old adopted son
By Dan Morse and Dana Hedgpeth, Published: February 18 E-mail the writers
Brian O’Callaghan fought in Iraq, mastered Arabic and became a division chief at the National Security Agency. Last year, wanting a second child for their young family, he and his wife adopted a 3-year-old boy from South Korea.
“He was so loving of him,” a family member said.
It is a background that made allegations revealed in Montgomery County District Court on Tuesday seem all the more stunning: Alone with the boy — with his wife out of town, his other son in a different part of the house — O’Callaghan repeatedly struck the child, hitting him so hard that the boy died two days later.
“An absolutely horrific crime on an absolutely innocent young victim,” said Assistant State’s Attorney Donna Fenton, listing injuries to the boy’s head, neck and back. “Basically this child was beaten to death from head to toe.”
Brian Patrick O' Callaghan charged with murdering 3 year old son
By Brad Bell February 18, 2014 - 09:27 am
DAMASCUS, Md. (AP) - Montgomery County police say a Damascus man has been charged in the death of his 3-year-old son.
Police announced Tuesday that 36-year-old Brian O'Callaghan, an NSA analyst and former combat Marine, has been charged with first-degree murder and child abuse resulting in the death of his adopted son, Hyunsu, earlier this month.
It is alleged that sometime between January 31 and February 2 in the family’s Damascus home, O’Callaghan beat to the death the three-year-old boy he and his wife adopted from Korea jus three months earlier.
"The injuries to this child were catastrophic injuries," said State's Attorney John McCarthy. "I think the evidence supports the charges that were brought."
Madoc Hyeonsu O'Callaghan, age 3, of Damascus, Md., passed away Monday, February 3, 2014, at Children's Hospital National Medical Center in Washington, D.C. Born in South Korea, Madoc joined his forever family, October 23, 2013, and from that day on he was a smiling, content, and loving son and brother. He loved his dogs, his big brother Aidan, and anything his parents made for him to eat.
He wasn't dealt the simplest hand in life, but he found something to love in it every day. He is survived by his parents Brian and Jennifer O'Callaghan, his brother Aidan and his dog Buddy.
State poised to yank Utah adoption agency’s license
Adoption » It’s not the first time agency has faced state scrutiny.
By Brooke Adams | The Salt Lake Tribune
First Published Feb 12 2014 06:58 pm • Last Updated Feb 12 2014 10:16 pm
A Utah agency that has come under fire in the past for its involvement in controversial adoptions has been put on notice that the state plans to revoke its license after it continued to accept new clients despite being prohibited from doing so.
The Adoption Center of Choice has until Feb. 20 to respond to the revocation notice from the Office of Licensing for the Utah Department of Human Services.
The action follows a notice issued last September, when the agency was told to correct various operating problems and given a probationary license that expires at the end of the month.
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Four Employees of Adoption Services Provider Charged with Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in Connection with Ethiopia Operations
Four current and former employees of International Adoption Guides Inc. (IAG), an adoption services provider, have been indicted by a grand jury in South Carolina for allegedly conspiring to defraud the United States in connection with IAG’s adoption services in Ethiopia. IAG is a South Carolina company that identified children in Ethiopia for adoption and arranged for their adoption by U.S.-based parents.
Acting Assistant Attorney General Mythili Raman of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney William N. Nettles of the District of South Carolina and Assistant Secretary Gregory B. Starr of the Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security made the announcement.
Moses Farrow does not believe his younger sister, Dylan, was ever sexually abused by Woody Allen.
"Of course Woody did not molest my sister," Mia Farrow's 36-year-old estranged adopted son told People in an interview released on Wednesday. "She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him."
Moses, a family therapist who is now close to Allen and his wife, Soon-Yi Previn, told the publication that his mother "drummed" hate into his heart for Allen, but now believes the accusations of Dylan's molestation were "a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi," Farrow's daughter from a previous marriage.
Dylan Farrow's Brother Moses Defends Woody Allen
By ALICIA DENNIS
UPDATED 02/05/2014 at 11:00 AM EST • Originally published 02/05/2014 at 08:30 AM EST
Dylan Farrow's Brother Moses Defends Woody Allen
Dylan Farrow's Feb. 1 open letter to The New York Times detailing sexual molestation she says she suffered at the hands of her father Woody Allen reignited a controversy that has divided their family bitterly for more than 20 years.
Now her brother Moses Farrow is speaking out to defend Allen – and accuse their mother, Mia Farrow, of poisoning the children against their father.
"My mother drummed it into me to hate my father for tearing apart the family and sexually molesting my sister," Moses, 36, tells PEOPLE in the magazine's new issue. "And I hated him for her for years. I see now that this was a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi."