Inspired by stories shared by birth parents, adoptive parents, and adult adoptees, PPL explores the dark side of adoption, and the consequences illegal and unethical actions have on future family-life and the well-being of those affected by adoption.
Too many children are placed for the benefit of agencies and based on the demands of prospective adoptive parents.
Too many children are placed in inappropriate homes because the business interests of adoption agencies have higher priority than the safety of children.
PPL documents and archives cases where the child placement system did not work in the best interest of the child and we offer a platform for those who want to express their thoughts and feelings about the dark side of child adoption.
WEST PALM BEACH — A judge this afternoon denied a request for a change of venue in the attempted murder case of Jorge Barahona, the man accused of trying to kill his adopted son in Palm Beach County after authorities say he and his wife murdered the boy’s twin sister in Miami.
Circuit Judge Sandra McSorely made the ruling at the end of a hearing this afternoon, which centered around Barahona’s quest to move his case to Miami. The hearing provided a preview to what jurors in his case will likely hear about the morning of Valentine’s Day 2011, when authorities found 10-year-old Nubia Barahona’s decomposing body just feet away from her brother, Victor, inside Jorge Barahona’s pest control truck along Interstate 95 in West Palm Beach.
Victor Barahona was alive, but his body had been doused with deadly chemicals.
Barahona’s attorneys, James Snowden and Mattie Fore, argued that prosecutors can’t prove the alleged attempted killing of Victor Barahona occurred in Palm Beach County.
Eight young adults with disabilities who were fraudulently adopted by a Queens woman and subjected to years of abuse have agreed to a $17.5 million settlement of their lawsuit against three private New York foster care agencies that had placed them with the woman, a new court filing shows.
The woman, Judith Leekin, 69, who adopted the children in the 1980s and ’90s, was arrested in 2007 in Florida, where she had moved with them. She was later convicted of fraud and abuse charges and is serving a lengthy prison sentence.
The case has long been seen as a horrific breakdown in the city’s foster care system. The authorities said Ms. Leekin used false names to adopt 11 children — one disappeared while in her care and is presumed dead — and she collected $1.68 million in subsidies from New York that were intended for their care but went to support her own lavish lifestyle.
Kansas is the only state in the country that requires clear and convincing evidence to substantiate an allegation of child abuse or neglect.
That standard could be putting children at risk, some in the child welfare field say.
When the Kansas Department for Children and Families substantiates abuse or neglect, it places the perpetrator on a registry that bans him or her from living, working or regularly volunteering in a child-care facility – including foster homes – regulated by the state Department of Health and Environment.
No other state requires such a high burden of proof, according to “Child Maltreatment 2012,” a study by the Administration for Children and Families, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
A survey of states found that most use a preponderance of evidence, a less rigorous standard in which evidence shows it is more likely than not that abuse or neglect occurred.
Union County’s most famous fugitives, Janet and Ramon Barreto, are expected to be returned to New Albany this Friday or Saturday, Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said.
Since going to get the couple in Portland and returning them either by way of air or in a sheriff’s car would be both impractical and expensive, the county has contracted with Inmate Services Corp. of West Memphis to transport the couple. “We would have to send a male and female officer and it would be difficult to carry her in the back of a cage car,” the sheriff said, referring to Janet Barreto particularly.
The West Memphis company, one of several that specialize in transporting prisoners, will use a custom Ford E 350 12-passenger van with separate caged areas to return the two, keeping them in holding cells in jails overnight along the route. They were to leave Monday or Tuesday,” the sheriff said.
Transporting the couple will not cost the county anything because the bonding agent who was left on the hook by them to the tune of more than $900,000 has agreed to pay all costs, Edwards said.
By DAVID FERRARA
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Child Protective Services agents investigated complaints from three girls living at the Las Vegas home of Janet and Dwight Solander at least three years before the former foster parents were arrested on child abuse charges, according to recently unsealed court testimony.
In light of further details about physical and sexual abuse the girls endured for years, Clark County prosecutors have added dozens of new charges against the Solanders.
The alleged abuse began in January 2011 — the same month the couple adopted the girls who were in their care — and lasted into November 2013. The girls ranged in age from about 9 to 12 years old at the time, court records show.
Just after they were adopted, the girls said caseworkers visited the house and took pictures.
“They said that they wanted to talk to all three of us,” one of the girls testified.
It’s unclear what the caseworkers found at the time, but the girls said that the most severe abuse had yet to begin.
It was supposed to be a safe haven for a newborn Manitoba girl.
But RCMP say the infant was subjected to physical abuse by one of her adoptive parents in a tragic case that has left her facing an uncertain future.
Police broke months of silence Friday, finally providing details about an ongoing criminal investigation that began last May in La Salle, a quiet community on the southern outskirts of Winnipeg.
A 39-year-old man has now been charged with aggravated assault and failure to provide the necessities of life. None of the allegations has been proven and he is presumed innocent.
The Free Press is not naming the man at this time to avoid identifying the child victim, who remains in hospital and is now under the care of Child and Family Services.
The man, along with his husband, adopted the aboriginal infant when she was just a few weeks old this past spring. Police became involved after the girl was taken to a Winnipeg hospital with what RCMP say were critical injuries "consistent with child abuse."
JACKSON, MI – A 45-year-old Blackman Township man who admitted to masturbating in front of and fondling his 5-year-old adopted daughter has been charged with five felony counts.
Jackson County Magistrate Frederick Bishop on Thursday, Aug. 15, arraigned the man on two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, two counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and one count of aggravated indecent exposure.
Both first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a penetration offense, and the indecent exposure charge, enhanced because the man is considered a “sexually delinquent person,” are punishable by up to life in prison.
As the man’s wife wept in the back of the courtroom, Bishop ordered the man held without bond in the Jackson County Jail.
His name is not being released because he shares a name with his daughter and the Citizen Patriot typically does not print names of sexual assault victims.
A couple wanted since 2008 on numerous charges tied to the death of their two-year-old adopted daughter have been arrested in Portland, Oregon.
Union County authorities have confirmed Janet and Ramon Barreto are in custody. According to the US Marshals, the Barretos were located in a shopping mall around 5:15 p.m. Tuesday. They had a child with them at the time of their arrest which is now in protective custody.
A tip on Monday lead authorities to their location, Marshals said. The couple refused to identify themselves, but a digital fingerprint system was used to identify Ramon Barreto. Janet Barreto was identified after being fingerprinted at the jail.
They were charged in 2008 with child neglect, child abuse, tampering with a witness, and manslaughter in the death of Enna Barreto, and the abuse of six other children. They were each wanted for failure to appear on original charges of manslaughter of a child, three counts of child abuse, six counts of child neglect and tampering with a witness.
Sheriff Jimmy Edwards says the U. S. Marshals Service located the couple in Portland, Oregon, on Tuesday.
Five years of legal wrangling and blistering social media spats and this is what anyone has to show for it: Sonya McCaul, who celebrated her 10th birthday on Friday, is still technically in state custody.
The years-long battle for Sonya, a girl raised by foster parents in Dickson until a court earlier this year ordered her returned to her biological father in Omaha, Neb., has still not been fully settled. The Tennessee Department of Children's Services has legal custody of her while she stays with her biological father, John McCaul, in Omaha on a trial basis. The foster parents who raised her while McCaul was in federal prison, David and Kim Hodgin, continue to try to terminate his parental rights.
Despite all the attention paid to the case — which has tapped into the kind of raw emotions that often accompany custody cases, amplified by the uniqueness of the dilemma — they are running out of options.
More: Sonya's foster mother Haslam: Help my family
More: Dickson judge rules Sonya to stay in Nebraska
Jacky Scott Garrett, 43 of Frisco, received an automatic sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole after the jury found him guilty of the capital murder of his 22-month-old adopted son, announced Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis.
Garrett and his wife Emily took custody of their son Logan and his twin sister in March 2011 and finalized their adoption on Sept. 30, 2011. Just eleven days later, while Emily was out of state, Garrett took semi-conscious Logan to the home of a neighbor, who was a spine surgeon. At the time, Logan’s body was limp, and his eyes were rolling in the back of his head.
Garrett described to the neighbor that he thought he might have knocked the breath out of his child while they were wrestling. After about 20 minutes, when Logan’s condition remained poor, 911 was called. Garrett minimized Logan’s injuries and described his child as “OK.” He stated he thought he knocked him out while they were playing. He later added that he might have knocked the breath out of his child a couple of times.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Department of Child Services is trying to figure out who six children belong to after they were taken from a home where a boy was found in restraints.
All the children were removed from a house in the 5600 block of Gaywinds Avenue Thursday. Neighbors tell WREG that’s where a young boy was found chained up.
DCS said, according to their records, none of the children taken from the house are foster kids.
WREG tried talking to a man who claimed to be the own the house. He wouldn’t share his name, but the home’s owners are listed as Melvin and Kenya Bloomingburg. They have lived there since 2006. The man refused to talk to a WREG reporter about the children or the accusations.
DCS said the house was a foster home for the last two years, but the family stopped fostering in February. They said there were never any problems during that time.
However Thursday night, the house was swarming with police after hearing a child was being restrained in a shed behind it.